Strawberry Maple Jam

There is so much to love about this jam. There are only two ingredients, both of which are available in my local area. It’s simple to make, it’s healthier than jam with sugar, and it’s delicious. The maple flavor does not overpower the strawberries, but remains subtle. According to Janie Quinn, author of Essential Eating: The Digestible Diet, maple syrup is “the easiest-to-digest natural sweetener because it digests very slowly, thereby avoiding a sugar rush into the bloodstream.”

To make the jam, simply mix 3 cups of strawberries, hulled and quartered, with 1 cup of pure maple syrup. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Cool, and enjoy. Let me know what you think.

Update: I’ve also used this recipe to make huckleberry jam, and raspberry jam. Each was just as wonderful as the strawberry.

Shared at Real Food Wednesday, Sunday School, Monday Mania, Homestead Barn Hop, Real Food Forager, Tuesday Garden Party, Teach Me Tuesday, Frugal Ways Sustainable Ways, Whole Foods Wednesday, Rural Thursday, Garden Club Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Farmgirl Friday, Homestead Helps, Seasonal Recipe Roundup, Berry Recipe Roundup

Featured at Tuesday Garden Party

Comments

1. Leah says

ohhhhhhh sigh.

can you please please pretty please just come here and do everything in your blogs FOR me??? hahaha i want the jam. i want the lettuce. i want the lasagna garden beds. i want i want i want.

i’ll be patiently waiting for you to show up at my house will all of your supplies – Thanks!
    lol

• Caitlin says

I’m brand new to jam making. My husband and I are sugarmakers so I’d love to use our own syrup in the strawberry jam. You really don’t need pectin? Can we hot pack it or is freezing best?
        Thanks!

• Susan Vinskofski says

You really don’t need pectin, Caitlin. You just need to keep cooking until it thickens. I don’t have any experience canning this; I always just freeze it.

2. Shelley Oswald says

I love this idea. I use my own strawberries to make jam, but cringe every time because of all the sugar. I can’t wait to try this. My daughter makes her own maple syrup and always shares it with us!

3. Jeanne says

Hey Susan,
    I’m sooo excited about this recipe. I have blueberry bushes that should produce this year and raspberry bushes. I haven’t made any jam’s because I can’t use sugar. We also sap so…..yipee I’m making jam. Thanks so much.

Thank you for sharing your jam recipe – I’m always looking for ways to cut back on sugar or cut it out. I’ve switched to unpasteurized honey for my tea and coffee but am taking a hard look at Stevia.
    Judith

• Barb says

My husband is borderline diabetic. This sounds like the ideal Jelly for him. I am also looking into doing things with Stevia. My husband actually tried starting some stevia plants inside. Out of 6 only one actually grew. They say it is really hard to grow.

5. katieka says

What a yummy jam recipe. I can’t wait for strawberry season when we can harvest some from our garden :) I wanted to invite you to share it at Whole Foods Wednesday where you can link up whole foods recipes and tips for whole living. Hope you have a blessed day!

Katie

wow, i’m drooling over it! i am a butter lover too!
    now i’m hungry. i just finished my bacon, pancakes with maple syrup breakfast!
    go figure!

thanks for sharing:)

7. my4buffaloes says

I am definitely going to try this in June. I make my own jams every year, but with white sugar, which we are trying to cut out. I think I will try canning a batch of this jam and see how it does, as I don’t have a lot of freezer space. Thanks!

8. Gretchen says

Susan, do you think that wildflower honey would work instead of the maple syrup. Down here we don’t have local maple syrup, of course, but we do have honey. What do you think? Of course, i can get organic maple syrup, but i was trying to stay local. Thanks again!

9. Amanda N says

Question. I had a 12 oz bottle of syrup so I tried to make a 1 1/2 recipe. I simmered over 40 minutes and it still looked thin, but I thought it would thicken after it cooled. It didn’t. :( How can I tell when it is thick enough? I was afraid that I would burn it.

Hi Amanda! Glad you tried the recipe. Some strawberries are just juicier than others, and some syrup is thinner than others, so the cooking time can vary. I cook until it is visibly thick. You also can put a half teaspoon on a plate to cool, and see if that is as thick as you desire. Then you know you’re done.

• Casey says

Hi, I just tried this recipe and I am having the same problem…it will not thicken. I have let it simmer a very long time now and it’s still runny. I so want this recipe to work. :(

Hmmm, that’s frustrating. I make this quite frequently with success; so sorry it isn’t working for you. I would just keep cooking.

10. bev says

What do you think of the idea of adding some liquid or powdered pectin to help it thicken and solidify? We have absolutely no freezer space, so I am really interested in a recipe that I can put in jars, but that will also still spread like jam and not be a “sauce”. I will definitely try 1 batch using only berries and syrup, but just thought I’d toss out the question of using more pectin… Anyone out there have any experience with this?

I have no experience with this recipe and the pectin. Anyone else? I make this frequently and I do find it spreadable. I also don’t see why it can’t be “canned”, but again, I have not tried that. If you experiment, let us know how it all works.

11. Kami Dimmick says

I didn’t read ALL the comments but most of them anyway….how about Rhubarb? Have you made it with Rhubarb and do you think I should use more maple syrup than a cup since it is so tart?

Hi Kami!, Yes, I’ve made strawberry/rhubarb with this recipe and I did not increase the syrup. We thought it was great!

12. Jean Elm says

I ran across a similar version of this but you don’t cook it. It retains the vitamins in the fruit, but you add a special type of pectin. This may be a bit easier. I think I will try it. Yum!

• DrPicha says

I was thinking of trying this without cooking too. I hate how cooking changes the flavor of the strawberries, and makes it less nutritious. Thought about adding Chia Seeds to help with the thickening, add fiber and some Omega 3s. Time to experiment.

13. Laura says

Hi this sounds great! Can you make more than one batch at a time? How much does it increase the simmering time? Thanks for sharing this!!

• Susan says

Yes, this can be doubled. I would say to increase the time to about 45 minutes, although cooking until thick, rather than by the clock, is your best bet. Enjoy!