Sprouted Wheat Flour

Grass-fed burger on a beautiful sprouted wheat hamburger bun with pan-fried parsnips.

I first began to use sprouted wheat flour when I heard that it digests like a vegetable. Wow! But, the price is a bit steep, and digesting like a vegetable was not enough to motivate me to continue purchasing it. But, as I have learned more about grains, I have become committed to only using flour that has been sprouted, or otherwise properly prepared.

Grains contain phytic acid, and phytic acid blocks the absorption of several minerals in our bodies. In addition, grains contain enzyme inhibitors which prevent our own digestive enzymes from properly digesting the grain. Soaking, sprouting, or fermenting the grain breaks down and neutralizes much of the phytic acid and inactivates the enzyme inhibitors making the grain digestible.

Soaking whole wheat flour in an acid medium and liquid is one option for making the flour digestible. However, only freshly milled flour should be used since nutrients are very quickly lost and the germ becomes rancid after grinding.   Fermentation, or sourdough, is another option. Again, only freshly ground flour should be used. Wheat berries may be sprouted at home, dehydrated, and then ground into flour. At least for now, I prefer the convenience of purchasing sprouted wheat flour. When wheat is sprouted, the germ is consumed in the process and cannot become rancid. It is now a stable food able to maintain freshness and a shelf life of up to 6 months. Although purchasing sprouted wheat flour is the most expensive option, for me, it is one area where I choose convenience over price.

Here is the recipe I use for bread, taken from the Essential Eating blog:

Sprouted Flour Sandwich Bread

• 4 tablespoons room-temperature butter
  • 4 tablespoons  maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups room-temperature water
  • 4 cups Organic Sprouted Flour (wheat or spelt)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons yeast

Place the wet ingredients in the bottom of a bread machine, and then add the dry ingredients, ending with the yeast. Use the basic cycle on your bread machine.

By the way, be sure to enjoy your homemade bread with butter. The vitamins A and D it contains help to absorb the minerals and B vitamins in the bread!

Sources of good information on properly preparing foods for best digestion are the books Nourishing Traditions and Essential Eating.

Shared at Sunday School, Monday Mania, Homestead Barn Hop, Fat Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Rural Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Farmgirl Friday, Fight Back Friday

Comments

Yay! Thanks for the recipe for the sprouted wheat bread! It looks delicious as a hamburger roll, too. I found a few more stores today to expand my search for sprouted wheat flour as I discovered when I looked into it, as you did, that the process for making it myself seemed difficult. Although I may experiment with it some day. Great post, Susan!

I love the tendrils that I find in my inbox from the labor of love of making the Essential Eating Sprouted Flour distributed by Shiloh Farms. That bun looks amazing and your article is yet another vote for real food. Years ago when I was making sprouted flour on my kitchen counter my over thinking mind ask “how do I know the grains are actually sprouted?” Come to find out, I didn’t. There is a fine line between just soaked grains and over-sprouted grains that cannot be detected with a visual check. Both are probably better than unsprouted flour, but I wanted to make sure I was eating the real deal. So when we opened the country’s first certified organic sprouted flour mill to make the Essential Eating Sprouted Flours consistently, we put some tests in place to assure us that the flour is actually sprouted and that it has the digestive and nutrient benefits everyone wants in sprouted flour. Did you know that we are the only sprouted flour producer who test to assure this is so?! All others just adopt claims they cannot prove. So thank you for your vote! And Lois, just use our sprouted flour one for one in all your recipes!

Thanks, Janie! I have been trying to shop locally for Shiloh products since Susan told me about your sprouted flour. I live in Phoenix, AZ. I will be ordering it soon, if I cannot find it! I’m excited :)
      Even more knowing that you test your product as you described!

Thank you, Janie, for taking the time to stop by and comment. (Folks, this is the author of “Essential Eating The Digestible Diet”, if you did not pick up on that). I am so grateful for your books and I’m wowed by what you’ve done to bring fantastic sprouted wheat flour, pretzels and pasta to our kitchens! I’m proud, too, to say that you’re a local girl! (I’m in Clarks Summit).

Please forgive me for taking a side trip here, but their isn’t a day that goes by that someone doesn’t talk about the cost of organic real food…their isn’t an audience that doesn’t ask about the price of organic real food. Why have we been led to believe that food should be cheap? Americans spend less of our discretionary income on food than any nation in the world. And if you consider the extremely high cost of our cheap food…the rise of every serious illness know to humankind…we should all buy better quality, higher priced food!! Consider that it is possible to save money by eating better quality food! As consumers we equate a higher price with better quality…except sadly, when it comes to food. Sprouted flour to produce correctly takes 4 more steps to produce than cheap white flour, but it won’t kill you or make you sick and isn’t devoid of nutrients. I think you’re worth it. Thanks for listening.

I thought I knew everything about flour — but you just taught me something, which I love, of course! I’ll definitely have to do a search for this flour and try it — I love to bake bread and your recipe looks great!

Thank you for sharing at RT!

4. K. says

How are you doing?! I’m wondering if you have any suggestions on how to make it without a bread-making machine. Thanks

Hi! I would just use the instructions for any general bread recipe. ie. Mix the ingredients, knead for 5 minutes. Let rise. Punch down and knead again. Put into bread pans (I think I’d use 2 for this), let rise again and bake.

5. Lisa says

I would love to try this recipe but I have a small bread machine that recommends no more than 2 cups of flour in a recipe. Do you think I could cut this recipe in half? Or what would you recommend?

I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or
    weblog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last
    stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i’m glad to show that I’ve an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly
    what I needed. I such a lot surely will make certain to do not omit this
    web site and provides it a look on a relentless basis.