Dutch Oven Cooking: Zucchini Bread

When we are at our cottage, we enjoy baking outdoors in our 10” cast iron Dutch oven. The Dutch oven is on legs, allowing coals to be placed underneath it, and the lid is flat with a lip around it so that hot coals can be placed on top. The following recipe for zucchini bread requires a temperature of 350 degrees. To achieve that, we place 15 hot coals on the top of the lid, and 7 hot coals evenly spaced under the pot. On a colder day, we add another briquette or so. Heavy pot holders and long handled tongs are helpful for handling the pot. We place ours on a flat cast iron griddle, but a flat rock works just as well.

Combine and mix well:

• 3 large eggs
  • ¾ cup sucanat
  • 1 cup melted butter
  • 2 cups raw, grated zucchini
  • 1 T pure vanilla extract

Sift together:

• 3 cups sprouted wheat flour (buy sprouted wheat flour here)
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t baking powder

Add to zucchini mixture and stir until blended.

Add:

• ½ cup chopped nuts
  • ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins

Heat the Dutch oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1 T butter in the bottom of the oven. Add 1 T sucanat and ¼ cup chopped or whole nuts. Pour batter over this. Return lid to top of pan and bake for 45 – 55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove the lid and move the Dutch oven so that it is no longer over any coals. Cool for 5 minutes. Place a dish over the top of the pan and invert the zucchini bread onto the plate. The bread will be topped with nuts. Cool completely before serving.

uhlb-soon-600x345

Comments

Wow, this is inspiring! I enjoyed reading your posts on the cottage life too. We have a camp in Maine so I know a little what it’s like, although we do have plumbing and running water(can’t drink it though) Was wondering how you keep the temperature at an even 350?

Thanks! Well, I’ve never actually taken the temperature. It always turns out just right and so I assume it’s working. I suppose you would have to be more careful if the recipe really required an exact temperature.

Thanks, Megan. I’ve only made cakes in it, but stews and soups would be great as well. Then you use more coals on the bottom and less on top.

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own
        a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam feedback?
        If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
        I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any
        support is very much appreciated.

An outstanding share! I have just forwarded this onto a coworker who was doing a little homework
        on this. And he in fact bought me dinner because I found it for
        him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!!
        But yeah, thanks for spending time to talk about this issue
        here on your site.

i want a cabin with a dutch oven! haha – this is beautiful. i’m so adding it to my pinboards :)

today is the Wednesday Fresh Foods Blog Hop – I was hoping, if you feel up for it, that you’d link up this fabulous post (and any future fabulous, seasonal and/or real food posts) with us :) Everyone is welcome so feel free to stop by. take care! xo, kristy

this kind of cooking really does signal a path to smaller living. simpler living. now all we need to do is figure out how to make this work beyond the cottage. could you imagine if everyone started cooking like this on a daily basis? our entire economy would shift! that might take the joy out of it whilst camping, but anything that brings camping into a more daily occurrence is alright with me ;)

thank you for taking the time to share with us at The Wednesday Fresh Foods Blog Hop – we hope to see you again this week with more incredible posts! xo, kristy

Hi Kristy! I’ve never really looked deeply into how charcoal is made and if that is a good use of resources for everyday. I suppose we could learn to make our own, or just use a wood fire.

Dear SusanV,
    I am blown away that I found your blog. This has been a desire of mine for many years to learn to cook like this. Also, the recipe with sprouted flour sounds truly wonderful. BTW, I’d love to know if you make your own flour or if you have found a source for organic and sprouted. We just installed a wood cook stove in a summer kitchen we built. I have so much to learn and so little time until the children have their own families.
    I will be bold and ask if you would consider linking up at ‘EOA’ Wednesday and supply the readers with your helpful posts. I’d love there to be more preparedness and old-timey understanding out there.
    Thank you!

4. susanv says

Hi Jacqueline, I am honored that you requested my participation in your link up and I’m happy to do so. I especially like to use the Dutch oven when we have company with children. They really seem to enjoy watching the process. For the bread, I use Shiloh Farms organic sprouted wheat flour. It is expensive, but it is just my husband and I at home now and we don’t use a lot so I don’t mind. Making your own is a savings but also time consuming. I think I would go with sourdough instead if I didn’t have access to the high quality flour. By the way, I’ve tried one other brand that was less expensive (I don’t remember the name) and when I baked yeast bread it just did not rise as nicely as the Shiloh Farms brand. Thanks for visiting and for the invitation. I’ll be stopping by.

Wow I have one of those dutch ovens with feet from my Great Grandma I never knew you could do this with it. Thank you this looks wonderful and delicious. B

Camping as a teen is where I learned this as well. I’ve only made cakes/breads, but they are definitely delicious!

Nice post and really full of information. Here’s a tip that barbecue specialists can make use of to smoke or barbecue a lot of the most succulent barbecue out there. If you’re struggling with your food dehydrating on the barbecue smoker or grill, try this procedure to promptly improve your barbecue. Whether you’re cooking ribs, chicken breasts, or any other meat, shower it using apple juice to keep a better moisture content degree on the food. A lot more moisture means your meal may be a lot more juicy and tender on the table. MMMMM BBQ.

• muleyboy559 says

We use our while up deer hunting. We make all kinds of stews, soups and desserts with them. We had people we didn’t even know come into our camp when we made a blueberry cobbler in one and 6 quarts of homemade ice cream one night…endless possibilities with a dutch oven! Thanks for this post cause zucchini bread is my favorite and it never crossed my mind to make it in the DO.