Are you interested in natural skin-care and personal care products? I’ve been using natural, commercially made products for a while, but except for soap-making, I’ve been slow moving towards making my own. A spa-night with friends where we made our own skin-care products began the change, but Heather Dessinger’s ebook DIY Natural Beauty Recipes has been the real impetus I needed. Heather has given me permission to share her recipe for the Tooth Soap that she developed. Her book also has recipes for tooth powder, toothpaste, and an amazing recipe for whitening teeth using activated charcoal.
Mommypotamus’ Tooth Soap
- 1 T. castile soap (I used Dr. Bronner’s Unscented)
- 4 T. melted coconut oil
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. water (I will leave this out next time as the soap is a bit runny)
- 20 drops essential oil* (I used peppermint)
- 1 T. raw honey or a few drops of stevia extract (optional – I didn’t use any and it’s fine)
* Cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint, anise, fennel, sweet orange and clove are recommended. Sweet orange is best for toddlers who have not yet learned to spit after brushing. The number of drops will vary based on the strength of the essential oil. Clove is very antiseptic but only a few drops should be used in combination with another oil due to the potential for gum irritation.
In a bowl, mix water, honey and olive oil until well blended. Add remaining ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Pour mixture into a vial with dropper or soap dispenser and store out of direct sunlight. Put a few drops onto your toothbrush and brush. Shelf life is about 3 months. Note that the honey will settle to the bottom. Stir a bit with the dropper before using.
I have so much to learn about oral health care, which is why I signed up for the online HealThy Mouth Summit, which runs from January 13th – 20th. The Summit is completely free and there will be 21 speakers. I’m really excited because my dentist, Dr. Blanche Grube is one of the speakers! At the Summit, you’ll:
- Discover how to navigate to greater oral health if you currently have ‘silver’ fillings, root canals, crowns, implants and other challenging dental procedures.
- Learn how to raise cavity free kids!
- Finally learn the TRUTH about the safety of dental materials – separate the science from the hype!
- Empower yourself with the questions to ask a dentist to determine if they are the optimally trained and aware to support your family to create optimal oral health!
What area of oral health care are you interested in learning more about?
Shared at: Freaky Friday, Farmgirl Friday, Strut Your Stuff, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Family Table Tuesday, Scratch Cookin’ Tuesday, Domestically Divine, Teach Me Tuesday, Wildcrafting Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Down Home Blog Hop, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Simple Lives Thursday, Thank Your Body, The HomeAcre Hop, Fight Back Friday, Small Footprint Friday, Sunday School, Clever Chicks