Dutch Oven Cooking
When we are at our cottage, we enjoy baking outdoors in our 10” cast iron Dutch oven. The Dutch oven is on legs, allowing coals to be placed underneath it, and the lid is flat with a lip around it so that hot coals can be placed on top.
The following recipe for Dutch oven zucchini bread requires a temperature of 350 degrees. To achieve that, we place 15 hot coals on the top of the lid, and 7 hot coals evenly spaced under the pot. On a colder day, we add another briquette or so.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to pay my blogging expenses, I may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement and/or link to products mentioned on this blog. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Heavy pot holders and long handled tongs are helpful for handling the pot. We place ours on a flat cast iron griddle, but a flat rock works just as well.
More Posts You’ll Love
Dutch Oven Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups zucchini shredded
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup melted butter plus butter to grease pan
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- Preheat a cast iron Dutch oven with legs by placing 15 hot coals on the top of the lid, and 7 hot coals evenly spaced under the pot to bring the Dutch oven to 350°F. On a colder day, add another briquette or so.
- Grease the bottom of the Dutch oven with softened butter.
- Mix zucchini, coconut sugar, melted butter, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and pour into preheated Dutch oven.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Loosen bread by running a knife along the sides. Place a dish on top of the Dutch oven and turn upside down. The cake will now be on the plate.
- Cool before slicing.
Thank you for visiting Learning And Yearning. May "the LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26