Dutch Oven Cooking
When we are at our cottage, we enjoy baking outdoors in our 10” cast iron Dutch oven. The Dutch oven is on legs, allowing coals to be placed underneath it, and the lid is flat with a lip around it so that hot coals can be placed on top.
The following recipe for Dutch oven zucchini bread requires a temperature of 350 degrees. To achieve that, we place 15 hot coals on the top of the lid, and 7 hot coals evenly spaced under the pot. On a colder day, we add another briquette or so.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to pay my blogging expenses, I may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement and/or link to products mentioned on this blog. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Heavy pot holders and long handled tongs are helpful for handling the pot. We place ours on a flat cast iron griddle, but a flat rock works just as well.
More Posts You’ll Love
Dutch Oven Cooking: Zucchini Bread
- Heat the Dutch oven to 350°F degrees. To achieve this, place 15 burning charcoal briquettes on the top of the lid, and 7 hot coals evenly spaced under the pot. On a colder day, add another briquette or so.
- Combine eggs, sugar, 1 cup melted butter, zucchini, and vanilla and mix well.
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to the zucchini mixture and stir until blended.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts and the 1/2 cup of raisins.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the bottom of the Dutch Oven.
- Add 1 tablespoon coconut sugar and ¼ cup chopped nuts.
- Pour batter over the sugar and nuts.
- Return lid to top of pan and bake for 45–55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the lid and move the Dutch oven so that it is no longer over any coals; cool for 5 minutes.
- Place a dish over the top of the pan and invert the zucchini bread onto the plate. The bread will be topped with nuts.
- Cool completely before serving.
Thank you for visiting Learning And Yearning. May "the LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26