Ferment some of your grape or cherry tomatoes for a tangy treat that is full of probiotics!
Do you have a lot of grape or cherry tomatoes in your garden? These may be one of my favorite ferments to date, and they are so easy to make.
Be sure to use water without chlorine when making fermented grape tomatoes since the chlorine may hinder the fermentation process.
A weight on the top of the tomatoes is important to keep them submerged. My post Fermentation Weights: 10 Ideas for Keeping Your Ferments Submerged has some great ideas.
And if you need an airlock, my post DIY Airlock for Fermentation will show you how to make your own.
The basil imparts a wonderful, aromatic, sweetness to the tomatoes. I hope you’ll try this out and let me know what you think!
Do you ferment vegetables? What is your favorite?
More Fermentation Posts You’ll Love
Fermented Grape Tomatoes
- 1 quart grape tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- 4 cups water chlorine free
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- Wash tomatoes and remove stems.
- Poke a hole in each tomato with a toothpick.
- Fill a wide mouth quart canning jar with the tomatoes to within an inch and a half of the top, adding a basil leaf every few inches.
- Mix 4 cups of water (no chlorine as this will prevent fermentation) with 3 Tablespoons of sea salt.
- Pour this brine over the tomatoes in the jar leaving an inch of space at the top.
- End with several basil leaves on the top to help keep the tomatoes under water.
- Use a fermentation weight to keep all ingredients submerged.
- Place a lid with an airlock on top. If you don't have an airlock use the wide mouth canning lid that came with the jar.
- Leave on the counter with a tea towel over the jar to ferment for 3 - 5 days. If you are using a lid without an airlock release the gases a few times a day by unscrewing and then tightening the lid.
- After 3 - 5 days, refrigerate. Will keep for weeks in your refrigerator.
Thank you for visiting Learning And Yearning. May "the LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26