One of my favorite summer meals is barbecue. Barbecue chicken, barbecue ribs, pulled pork with BBQ sauce. You name it. The rhubarb in my organic garden is producing abundantly, and I’ve been making all things rhubarb, including rhubarb sauce sweetened with maple syrup. And that gave me the idea to try and create some homemade rhubarb BBQ sauce.
Oh, wow. I whipped up some sauce, taste tested, made a few adjustments, and came up with a wonderful barbecue sauce. So far we’ve loved it on chicken, but I’m freezing lots of puréed rhubarb so we can enjoy this homemade bbq sauce recipe all summer long.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to pay my blogging expenses, I may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement and/or link to products mentioned on this blog. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
How to Make Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
The rhubarb BBQ sauce is quick and easy to make. You’ll need just 1 cup of chopped fresh rhubarb (about 2 stalks). Simmer the rhubarb on low heat with a little water and it quickly softens. Then purée the rhubarb (I use my NutriBullet Blender) and mix with the other ingredients (see the recipe card below for details). So simple, but so delicious.
And the bbq recipe is truly a real-food recipe using all organic ingredients without processed sweeteners.
More Great Recipes That Use Rhubarb
And for the Garden:
Homemade Rhubarb BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup organic ketchup
- 1 teaspoon organic onion powder
- 1 teaspoon organic garlic powder or make your own*
- 1 tablespoon organic mustard or make your own**
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup add another tablespoon or two if you like a sweet bbq sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- Mix the chopped rhubarb and water in a small saucepan with a lid. Simmer on low until tender, 5 - 10 minutes. Cool.
- Purée the cooled rhubarb in a blender or food processor.
- Mix the puréed rhubarb with the rest of the ingredients.
- Refrigerate until use. Yields approximately 1 1/2 cups. The bbq sauce is delicious on chicken or pork.
Thank you for visiting Learning And Yearning. May "the LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26