To walk out into my garden and pick most of what we will have for dinner gives me so much joy. The garden is on the verge of bursting with eggplant, zucchini, okra, tomatoes and onions. Sounds like ratatouille to me! Continue Reading
Here it is Meatless Monday again, and when we talked about that last week, I promised I would be serving Pasta with Eggplant Sauce:
- 1 28 oz can crushed or stewed tomatoes – I used Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted tomatoes.
- 3 – 4 T olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2″ cubes – I used a Sicilian eggplant
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T oregano
- 2 T basil
- 3 T parsley
- 1 1/2 T sea salt
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c black olives
Saute the eggplant, onion, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms in olive oil. Add the tomatoes and spices and simmer on low for several hours. (When I can tomatoes this summer, I definitely have to learn how to fire roast because these are some of the finest canned tomatoes I have ever tasted). Stir in olives. Serve over pasta with a salad and crusty bread. Special enough for Valentine’s Day!