Here it is Meatless Monday again, and when we talked about that last week, I promised I would be serving Pasta with Eggplant Sauce:
- 1 28 oz can crushed or stewed tomatoes – I used Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted tomatoes.
- 3 – 4 T olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2″ cubes – I used a Sicilian eggplant
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T oregano
- 2 T basil
- 3 T parsley
- 1 1/2 T sea salt
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 c black olives
Saute the eggplant, onion, garlic, red pepper and mushrooms in olive oil. Add the tomatoes and spices and simmer on low for several hours. (When I can tomatoes this summer, I definitely have to learn how to fire roast because these are some of the finest canned tomatoes I have ever tasted). Stir in olives. Serve over pasta with a salad and crusty bread. Special enough for Valentine’s Day!