For her birthday today, my daughter Jessi requested “no cake, just ice cream with homemade maple walnut topping.”
Simple! I toasted some walnuts, and just as they reached the point of starting to brown, I added maple syrup we had just purchased from a local farm. (It’s sugaring time in PA!).
Since the cast iron pan which I was using to toast the walnuts was nice and hot, the syrup immediately began to boil. I stirred constantly for a minute or so and the the topping thickened nicely.
The maple walnut topping was served hot over vanilla ice cream and the birthday girl was happy.
More Posts You’ll Love
Homemade Maple Walnut Topping
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add walnuts and toast until beginning to brown (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Pour pure maple syrup over the walnuts in the pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook until thick, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat. Topping may be served over cake or ice cream either warm or cooled.
Thank you for visiting Learning And Yearning. May "the LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26