When I was a kid, I always preferred the smooth, canned cranberry sauce. My mom often made a homemade cranberry relish gelatin, but it wasn’t until I was a bit older that I really began to appreciate it. She always included nuts and thinly sliced celery and it had the most wonderful crunch.
Several years ago my sister put together a cookbook of the recipes that my grandmother, my mom and her sisters made frequently. It’s such a treasure! I was browsing through recently and spotted the “Cranberry Jello” recipe.
Ahhh, I thought. I could do something similar, but ferment it so that it would be packed with probiotics. Yes, lacto-fermented cranberry relish sounded perfect!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to pay my blogging expenses, I may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement and/or link to products mentioned on this blog. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This would also make a nice hostess gift during the holidays, packed in an attractive jar. And it’s a good introduction to lacto-fermentation for the un-initiated because people already expect something with cranberries to be tart.
Hope you enjoy!
You’ll also love this recipe from Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment: Fermented Honey Cranberries.
More Posts You’ll Love
Lacto-fermented Cranberry Apple Relish
- 2 cups fresh organic cranberries coarsely chopped
- 2 organic apples quartered, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk organic celery thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw organic walnuts or pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup whey the liquid strained from plain yogurt
- Combine all ingredients and stir together.
- Transfer to a wide mouth quart jar and pack down being sure to leave at least 1" of head space.
- Place airlock on jar, cover with a tea towel, and leave at room temperature for 2 - 3 days.
- Refrigerate. Will keep for several weeks.
Thank you for visiting Learning And Yearning. May "the LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26